A doctor must clarify constant itching. Because it is not a disease, but a symptom that can indicate a disorder. But as soon as the cause has been found and, if necessary, conventional medical therapy has been initiated, you can relieve itching naturally. There are numerous home remedies available to you for this. Apple cider vinegar, for example, can help reduce scratching. Basil also helps against itchy skin. It can also help if you cool the skin, take good care of it, and do relaxation exercises from time to time. Because stress can also trigger itching, and those who constantly scratch themselves get stressed. A vicious circle that needs to be broken. With the support of your family doctor, the right treatment, and some tutoring with home remedies.
The skin is known as the mirror of the soul, but many physical diseases also manifest themselves in the largest organ in our body. Occasional itching is completely normal and mostly harmless. However, if you suffer from constantly itchy skin, you should have the trigger checked by a dermatologist. For example, he can uncover the cause of neurodermatitis and treat it in a targeted manner, provided that this skin disease is behind your itching. However, in addition to eliminating the triggers, you can use some home remedies and behaviors to combat persistent itching.
Apple cider vinegar is a tried and true home remedy for itching
Apple cider vinegar is one of the most popular home remedies for itching. It alleviates the symptoms by reducing the number of skin germs on the skin, among other things. It also brings the pH of the skin back into balance. To do this:
- Dilute the apple cider vinegar with a little tap water and dab the affected areas.
- Let the home remedy work for about ten minutes and then rinse it off with clean water. If you want to do something good for the entire skin, take a full bath with apple cider vinegar.
- Simply add half a liter of apple cider vinegar to the lukewarm water.
A great addition for itching and some skin diseases.
Basil & onion: first aid for itching and insect bites
Basil is part of Italian cuisines like pizza and pasta. But the Mediterranean plant has also proven itself as a home remedy for itchy skin. The best way to do this is to prepare a basil brew. Simply put the leaves in boiling water, briefly bring to the boil, steep for ten minutes, let cool and then soak a few compresses in them. Then apply it to the itchy areas and let the valuable ingredients take effect. Incidentally, this is also perfect for mosquito bites, but there is an even better home remedy for this specific case: the onion! It is a real miracle cure for wasp and other insect stings. In doing so, it not only relieves the itching, but also ensures that the stings do not become so infected.
More tips for healthy skin
But there are a number of other tips against itchy skin:
- Cool the affected areas with a towel or cold pack soaked in cold water or black tea. However, it must not be too cold, otherwise you will damage your skin and risk chilblains.
- Perform relaxation exercises such as autogenic training, meditation, or progressive muscle relaxation on a regular basis
- Make sure you wear airy and breathable clothing, especially in summer
- Use mild and alcohol-free washing and care products
If you have a skin disease, you should closely coordinate the supplementary use of home remedies with your treating dermatologist. This ensures that not only the symptoms but also the cause are effectively combated.